Mzansi Magic cancels Isibaya
News filtering in is Mzansi Magic is considering cancelling Isibaya.
According to television critic and writer Phil Mphela the fate of Isibaya is in limbo with Mzansi Magic considering cancelling the show.
Mphela says the channel will cancel Isibaya if its numbers do not improve.
NEWS: #ISIBAYA GETTING CANCELLED?
WORD IS, THE @MZANSIMAGIC SHOW’S FATE IS IN LIMBO. SOURCES TELL ME THAT THE SHOW IS ON THE BRINK AND BARRING ANY CHANGE IN FORTUNES IT WILL BE CANCELLED.
THE SHOW’S CANCELLATION HAS BEEN THE MURMUR SINCE EARLY THIS YEAR.
— KGOPOLO MPHELA (@PHILMPHELA)
OCTOBER 7, 2020
Isibaya started production in 2013. The show was created by Angus Gibson, Desiree Markgraaff, Teboho Mahlatsi, and Catherine Stewart.
The news that Isibaya will be cancelled follows reports SABC was cancelling its contract with Muvhango after more than two decades for Mzansi Magic’s number one telenovela; The Queen.
The reports were however dismissed SABC’s acting spokesperson Mmoni Seapolelo who said they were unfounded and a lie.
“The SABC disputes the allegation that Muvhango has been canned. All SABC programmes are subjected to evaluation based on a number of factors, including audience ratings, associated costs and relevance to the market,” said Seapolelo.
“To this effect, the SABC is pleased to have signed a new contract for Muvhango for another season. Our viewers can look forward to watching their favourite programme on SABC 2, ” he added.
There are also reports that Siyabonga Thwala who plays the role of Sengwayo ‘Mpiyakhe’ Zungu will apparently be exiting Isibaya permanently soon.
The actor was put on special leave previously and took a break from shooting on Isibaya and got an offer on Mnet’s The Legacy.
He apparently had contractual disputes with his producer’s on Isibaya who couldn’t meet his salary demands.-Savannah