South African truck drivers intensify Protests
JOHANNESBURG – Truck drivers are angry and are waiting for Labour Minister Thulas Nxesi to say something “positive so they can stop their protest”.
This is the word from the Gauteng Secretary of the All Truck Drivers Foundation (ATDF), Mandla Mngomezulu.
Mngomezulu said the association can’t stop truck drivers continuing with their protest against the employment of foreign nationals.
“The truck drivers are refusing to work,” said Mngomezulu.
The ATDF advised their members to stay at home.
“The violence must stop and maybe the minister can say something that’s positive,” Mngomezulu said.
“We asked drivers yesterday [Tuesday] to stay at home. We are saying they should stay away and sit at home.
“Maybe the minister will come up with something.”
The first day of the national shutdown was marred by acts of violence and intimidation.
Hundreds of truck drivers took to the streets in City Deep, Johannesburg on Tuesday to vent their anger.
They accused truck companies of hiring foreign nationals over South Africans.
Nxesi has met with affected parties to try to resolve the matter and said a task team has been appointed to look into the matter.
Daniel Mofokeng from the South African National Cargo Transport Drivers Association said they are disappointed with the minister’s response and think it’s an insult.
Last year, more than 70 trucks were torched in KwaZulu-Natal, as truck drivers took their anger to the streets causing property damage estimated at over R1-billion.